The course is an intense theory and practical outcomes based experience for participants either wanting to pursue a career in field guiding or for those who merely would like to experience a more intense learning curve in regard the various aspects of being a game ranger.
Candidates found competent after successfully completing the 60 day course will receive a FGASA level 1 (NQF 2) qualification. Several aspects including SASSETA, weapon handling, First Aid, 4X4 driving, snake handling and wine tasting will give participants a head start on all the incumbent qualifications that are required to start a successful career in field guiding.
Participation age limit is 18 years of age and participants do not require any previous experience in the field but need to be in possession of a valid driver’s license and passion for conservation all related species with an ability to interact and pass on their knowledge to fellow humans standing them in good stead.
This experience is operated over a minimum of 60 days on scheduled dates and is based out of the tented camp facility with common boma and communal tent for socializing.
The course is divided into two main components, namely:
Students will conduct practical excursions
onto the reserve and surrounding areas on a near daily basis, which will cover several modules as set out in the FGASA manual. Excursions are conducted on open homologated game-viewing vehicles or as operationally allows, on foot.
Lectures are done on a near daily basis and are conducted in a classroom or outdoors environment. The theory exam pass rate for FGASA Level 1 is 75 %. This is required of participants who wish to for qualify for the practical assessment which is needed to attain the full FGASA level 1 (NQF 2) qualification.
Subjects covered in the course are
- Field guiding as a profession
- Creating a guided nature experience
- Weather and Climate
- Biomes of South Africa
- Botany and Grasses
- Animal behaviour
- Introduction to conservation management and historical human habitation
- Hospitality including wine tasting
- Weapon handling
Cost of Course Includes
- Laundry service once weekly
- 3 meals per day, any additional snacks are to be provided by the learner
- Access to tea, coffee and juice
- Wine tasting and hospitality educational
- Study Manual
- FGASA practical assessment (NQF2)
- Training, Theoretical lectures and practical training
- Snake handling training
- First Aid level 1
- 4X4 Driving Course
- FGASA weapon handling assessments (BRH)
- SASSETA rifle certificate
- FGASA membership
- One year subscription with FGASA
- Limited Internet time for research on presentation topic only.
Extra Mural Activities (at own cost)
The course runs 60 days consecutively with 2 breaks scheduled over weekends. This is a structured and intensive course which requires participants to make productive use of their free time by studying and preparing for assignments. The scheduled breaks may be used to explore the Eastern Cape and surrounding biodiversity or extra study time.
Extra’s and Services
There is no network coverage at the tented accommodation and these services are only available at the main building
Internet: memory dockets can be purchases to make use of the wireless network
Access to telephone by purchasing a World Call Card. Cards can be purchased at most Vodacom shops, at the Port Elizabeth airport and any Post office.
R50 deposit will be requested on arrival for laundry bag, room key and general responsibility for facility and equipment.
To participate in the course no previous knowledge of nature, wildlife or conservation is required, although would naturally be of benefit to participants. All course participants are required to be older than 18 years of age and be in possession of a valid driver’s license for a manual or stick-shift transmission vehicle. A passion for nature, wildlife, conservation and interest in sharing your knowledge with others, will stand all course participants in good stead.
Under current regulations, only persons over the age of 21 years of age will be eligible to qualify for a South African PrDP (Prof. driving permit), as is required to legally transport passengers who are members of the public or guest, as a qualified FGASA level 1 Field Guide.
Ranger Training Course is a FGASA endorsed Level 1 experience for both those seeking to enter the industry as a professional Field/Nature Guide, and those who are enthused by nature and are wanting a more intense and detailed learning experience.
- applicable to new bookings only
- quoted per course per adult
- a 50% single supplement applies to rooms with single occupancy
- inclusive of all meals, accommodation, linen (bedding), laundry once weekly, cleaning twice weekly, all on-reserve activities, tea, coffee, tourism levy and 14% Vat
- exclusive of transfers, guest supplies (toiletries), Beverages, telephone and internet (Wi-fi), additional activities
- subject to change without prior notice
- Full pre-payment is required 60 days prior to arrival
- Shamwari Game Reserve reserves the right to release bookings, should payment not be received by the requested date
- Any discrepancies on the confirmation/pro forma invoice must be addressed at time of booking
- All bank charges are for the account of the tour operator and will not be paid by Shamwari Game Reserve
- Only written cancellations will be accepted. Ensure to receive an acknowledgment of cancellations from reservations.
- 50% of full course cost will be charged for cancellations received less than 120 days prior to arrival
- 60% of full course cost will be charged for cancellations received less than 60 days prior to arrival
- 100% of full course cost will be charged for cancellations received less than 30 days prior to arrival
- The total cost of one week will be charged if course is postponed within 120 days prior to arrival.
Arrival: 13h00 PE-airport – Pote Shamwari Game Reserve
Departure: 11h00 Pote Shamwari Game Reserve to PE-airport
1 hour between our facility and the airport must be allowed for return flights
R400 per person per way. Transfers can be booked when booking your placement
Rate : R 38 000 / 3600 $ USD per course per adult